Baldwin Locomotive Works
Dedicated: Saturday, September 26, 2009
County: Philadelphia
Marker Type: Roadside
GIS Coordinates: 39.96193-75.16952

Location: Franklintown Park, SW corner, N 19th & Hamilton Sts., Philadelphia

Marker Text: For years the nation’s leading locomotive manufacturer, it exported products worldwide. Established here by Matthias Baldwin in 1835, it was an early example of integrated industrial organization, employing more than 15,000 workers. Its 39 buildings encompassed 17 acres and transformed the surrounding area from a rural estate to one of the city’s first factory neighborhoods. Relocating to Eddystone in 1928, it ceased production 1956.

Advanced Search