MG-85. J. HORACE McFARLAND PAPERS, 1859-1866, 1898-1951.

Noted for his work in the field of conservation, J. Horace McFarland (1859-1948) for many years conducted campaigns for the preservation of Niagara Falls, for the preservation and development of national parks, and for roadside development. The author of numerous articles and books on roses and horticulture, he edited the "Beautiful America" department of the Ladies Home Journal and lectured widely. Chairman of the State Art Commission for many years, he served as secretary of the Municipal League of Harrisburg, 1901-45; as a member of the Harrisburg Park commission, 1905-13; as vice president of the National Municipal League, 1912-28; and as president of the American Civic Association, 1904-24. In 1935 McFarland was named a member of the National Park Trust Fund Board by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. A master printer, he was president of the Horace McFarland Company and of McFarland Publicity Service.

Lantern Slides, [ca. 1890-1905]. There are several Harrisburg photographs of now demolished buildings including private residences, churches, businesses, the YWCA, and the YMCA that were previously owned and used by African Americans. The property is now part of the state’s East Capitol Park complex, ca. 1936. Slide no. H-37 is entitled "How a Poor Colored Woman Cleaned Up."


Father of J. Horace McFarland, Col. George McFarland was an educator at the Freeburg Academy who later purchased the McAllister Academy in Juniata county. He served with the 151st Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers during the Civil War and upon the organization of the Soldiers’ Orphans’ Schools, McFarland also transformed the McAllister Academy into such a school. Included in his papers are reports of the superintendent of the Soldiers’ Orphans Schools of Pennsylvania which give information about the "Bridgewater School (Colored)," in Bucks County, as well as other schools in which African Americans were allowed to enroll.

Return to Index | PHMC Home | State Archives |