MG-216. CARLISLE INDIAN SCHOOL COLLECTION, 1878-1969.
The United States Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Indian Affairs operated a school for Native American children at Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Pennsylvania from 1878 to 1918. This small collection of items from the school contains documents, photographs, programs, catalogues, and miscellaneous publications including the school newspapers. One of these newspapers, The Indian Helper, contains various references to African Americans:
• Volume 5, number 38 (May 23, 1890), page 3, mentions a convention of the African Methodist Episcopal Church held in Carlisle.
• Volume 5, number 39 (May 30, 1890), page 2, column 2, cites a report by student Charlie Moneravie, previously a student at Hampton Institute, who described a trip to the Carlisle Indian School in which he observed that "the Indians and Negroes are in distinct apartments and quite as separate as though there were two schools. In the higher grades the Indians mingle with the Negroes in class."