MG-250. HARRISBURG COMMUNITY THEATRE RECORDS, 1925-1975.
Correspondence, photographs, scrapbooks, business records, and related materials covering the history of the Harrisburg Community Theater from the time of its formation in 1925.
Pictures (by Season), 1930-1973, and undated. Photographs from various plays produced by the Harrisburg Community Theater. African Americans appear in photographs of scenes from various plays such as:
• Gypsy (1971), with Danny Williams, Marilyn Patcher, Tawnya Phillips, Kristen Krathwohl.
• A Raisin in the Sun (1976), with Lalla Mills, Carol Lynn Carter, Samuel Johnson, William F. Peterson.
• NEAT (n.d.) at Downey Elementary School, with Wanda Pierce, Barbara Jackson, William Peterson, and Barbara Crabb.
• The Roar of the Greasepaint (1978), with Edward E. Randleman Jr., and Michele Ray.
• Something’s Afloat (1978), with Anthony Alexander as producer. Mr. Alexander also served as co-chairman of HCT’s Production Center as well as a member of its board of directors (1978).
• The Miracle Worker (1980), with Michelle Hinton and Vann Culpepper.
• Pippin (1982), with Linda Newkirk Barber.
• Boys in the Band (1984), with A. Cedric Alexander as Bernard.
• Man of La Mancha (1984), with Nicole Millicent Austin as Maria, the innkeeper’s wife.
• You Can’t Take It With You (1985), with Marcia P. Haymon and Bob Hubbard.
• Baby (1986), with Robin Fulton and Judith Blair Brown in the chorus.
• The Crucible (1986), with Margaretta L. Daniels.
• A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1986), with Karla Pierce.
The files also contain photographs of actors Darryl Barbee, Madella Artis, Ralph Crabb, and Charles Lloyd.
Scrapbooks, 1926-1971. Unbound scrapbooks containing news clippings of various theater productions. Several articles feature musical director J. Leonard Oxley, who appeared on several occasions at the Harrisburg Community Theater in such musicals as Oh Kay! and Oklahoma.