MG-325. THE PINE STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH SLIDE COLLECTION, [ca. 1895-1925].
This collection consists of 176 black and white and color slides of Harrisburg and its environs taken by an unknown photographer. The slides are fitted on 2" x 2" cardboard mounts, and are film copies of glass originals. Slide no. 116 shows the aviation field in Harrisburg during the 1920s. It was used by Pilot William McDonald Felton to teach flying when he operated his Auto and Aeroplane Mechanical School at 25 North Cameron Street. The aviation field was commonly known as the Felton Airfield. Felton was one of America’s first African American aviators, having taught hundreds of African Americans to fly. His school in Harrisburg was known nationally and he had students from all over the United States