MG-345. M. LEE GOLDSMITH, INC. PAPERS, 1872-1977.

Founded by upholsterer Joseph Goldsmith, M. Lee Goldsmith, Inc. was a furniture store located on Market Square in Harrisburg. In 1881, Goldsmith was in partnership with Amos Fry, but later he acquired sole proprietorship of the business. His son, M. Lee Goldsmith, became a partner in 1919. After M. Lee’s death, his sons Richard S. and Joseph K. Goldsmith continued to operate the business under his name until 1981, when it was sold to a New York firm. There are several group photographs of employees that depict at least one African American male with each group.

Return to Index | PHMC Home | State Archives |