MG-396. MILFORD H. PATTERSON ARCHITECTURAL DESIGNS, [ca. 1940-1980].
Milford H. Patterson (1910-1983), a registered Pennsylvania architect, graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Architectural School in 1932, was a charter member of the Pennsylvania Society of Water Color Painters, and a member of the American Institute of Architects. Patterson specialized in the design of churches, small businesses, apartment buildings, and private residences, as well as in making alterations and additions to existing structures. The collection consists primarily of blueprints, drawings, and tracings of Patterson’s proposed or completed projects in south central Pennsylvania, especially the Harrisburg area, and related business correspondence, ca. 1940-1980. Architectural drawings are arranged by job number, and related correspondence, specifications, and accounts for architectural projects designed by Patterson are arranged alphabetically by customer name. Included are drawings for some of the African American churches in Harrisburg such as: Project #141 First Baptist Church, Steelton; Project #739 Second Baptist Church, Forster Street (tower alteration); Project #403 Hillside Seventh Day Adventist Church, 13th and Herr Streets; and Project #604-Mt. Olive Baptist Church, 14th and Magnolia Streets.