PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 237
SECOND TROOP, PHILADELPHIA CITY CAVALRY COLLECTION
1810-1965
1 cu. ft.


Records of or pertaining to the Second Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry, a military company first organized during the Revolution at the direction of the Committee of Correspondence of Philadelphia City and County. After being disbanded in 1850, the troop was reorganized in 1896.

Correspondence, 1821-1822 (copies), 1902, 1909-1913, 5 folders, relates almost exclusively to the work of the 2nd Troop Association's Committee on Troop History, chaired by Dr. W. A. Newman Dorland, which was assigned the task of gathering material for a history of the organization. Prominent correspondents include Herman V. Ames, John W. Jordan, Luther R. Kelker, Thomas L. Montgomery, Thomas J. Stewart, and Irving C. Wilson.

Troop records include minutes, 1898; a report of the troop's commanding officer, 1901; memorandums and various membership, enlistment, and mailing lists, 1908-1914; by-laws, 1810, 1915; 3 folders of photographs of military camp scenes apparently taken in 1926; 2 scrapbooks, 1896-1902; and miscellaneous papers and accounts, 1900-1941. Collection also includes an early photographic copy of a letter from Abraham Lincoln to General U. S. Grant, dated April 14, 1865. This was apparently the last letter written by Lincoln before his assassination.




PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records