PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 244
EMPORIUM LUMBER COMPANY RECORDS
[ca. 1883-1972]
85 cu. ft.


Consists of correspondence files, accounts, legal papers, maps, blueprints, and related materials of the Emporium Lumber Company (Potter County) which was incorporated in 1892. Included also is an account book, 1883-1897, of the firm of Sykes and Caflisch which preceded the Emporium Lumber Company.

The collection pertains primarily to the period 1892-1920, during part of which time the company was the largest hardwood company in Pennsylvania, operating mills at Keatting Summit, Galeton, and Austin, Pennsylvania and Danby, Vermont. The correspondence files provide a wealth of information regarding all aspects of the lumbering industry. Founded by William L. Sykes and William Caflisch, the company was controlled by members of the Sykes family until its dissolution in 1972.

Included among the company's correspondence after 1940 is a great deal of material relating to the leasing of gas and oil rights, correspondence concerning Sykes family holdings in the Embreeville Timber Company (Tennessee), and other family interests. Though almost exclusively the records of the Emporium Lumber Company, the collection does contain references to the Emporium Forestry Company, which was chartered in 1912 to allow operations in New York State. The Emporium Forestry Company dissolved in 1950 and its assets were transferred to the Emporium Lumber Company.



ACCOUNTS
LEGAL PAPERS
GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE
MAPS & BLUEPRINTS


PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records