PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 261
FARMERS' BANK OF READING RECORDS
1814-1836
1 cu. ft.


The Farmers' Bank was the second to be opened within Reading. It was authorized by an Act of March 21, 1813, creating a general system of banking for the entire state. The Commonwealth was divided into 27 districts, and each one was to have a bank. The counties of Berks and Schuylkill were made one district and given a bank to be called the Farmers' Bank of Reading. The shares were to be $50 each, with Berks County having 10,500 and Schuylkill 1,500. Governor Snyder vetoed the bill, and bitterly opposed such a system, but one year later, in 1814, it was passed despite the Governor's objections by a two-thirds majority. The Board of Directors for the Farmers' Bank of Reading met on June 14, 1814, and organized by electing William Whitman, Jr., as president; John S. Hiester (the Governor's son) as cashier; Benjamin Davis as First Clerk; George Nagle as Second Clerk; and Philip Smith as watchman. The bank occupied a building at 445 Penn Street.




PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records