PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 282
PENNSYLVANIA COAL COMPANY RECORDS
1838-1975
126 cu. ft.


The Pennsylvania Coal Company was chartered in 1838 and organized in 1915 in Scranton to mine anthracite coal. In 1849, it merged with the Washington Coal Company. Because of an 1869 disaster at its Avondale mine in which 110 miners died, laws were passed providing for a second opening to mines and better ventilation. A majority of company capital stock was acquired by the Erie Railroad Company in 1901. This group contains corporate records, mostly minutes and financial accounts, of the Pennsylvania Coal Company, 1838-1971 (42 cubic feet). Also included are the records of the following subsidiary companies: Blossburg Coal Company, 1871-1956 (22 volumes), Hillside Coal & Iron Company, 1867-1945 (52 volumes and 14 cubic feet of loose papers), New York, Susquehanna & Western Coal Company, 1887-1944 (25 volumes), and Northwestern Mining & Exchange Company, 1873-1972 (37 volumes). The records are grouped according to company and then topically. Some of the records came from donations to the Anthracite Heritage Museum, and some were donated by the Pennsylvania Coal Company and its parent firm, the Erie-Lackawanna Railway Company.

Following are descriptions of some of the typical document types comprising these records:



PENNSYLVANIA COAL COMPANY

BLOSSBURG COAL COMPANY

HILLSIDE COAL & IRON COMPANY

NEW YORK, SUSQUEHANNA & WESTERN COAL COMPANY

NORTHWESTERN MINING & EXCHANGE COMPANY



  • The container listings for this Manuscript Group are available for viewing and word-searching in PDF format:

    PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records