PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 312
ST. LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH DEPOSIT
1856-1963
8 cubic feet


Located in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, St. Luke's Episcopal Church was originally founded in 1857 as Christ Church and numbered among its parishioners members of the prominent Coleman family of ironmasters. The deposit contains church records dating from before the church became St. Luke's Episcopal Church on August 18, 1863.

The deposit includes lists of parishioners' names, 1865-1896; baptismal records, 1858-1896; lists of communicants' names, 1857-1896; death registers, 1860-1896; and the private register of marriages, baptisms, and funerals kept by The Reverend Alfred M. Abel while officiating as pastor at Hope Church in Lancaster County, St. Luke's Church in Lebanon, St. Mark's Church in Jonestown, and a variety of other churches in the Washington and Oregon territories between 1857 and 1908.

Also found are general church correspondence, 1858-1960; legal papers, 1856-1949; financial accounts, 1858-1920; church building plans, 1863-1924; undated sketches of stained glass windows, several undated portraits, souvenir Bibles dated 1862, 1874, and 1893; and miscellaneous newspaper clippings and church publications.




PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records