PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


MG-359
104th CAVALRY, PENNSYLVANIA NATIONAL GUARD VETERANS' ASSOCIATION COLLECTION
[ca. 1914-1975]
2.5 cubic feet


Originally organized in 1874 as the 8th Infantry Regiment, the troop was mustered into federal service during the Spanish-American War and in both world wars. In 1921 it was redesignated as the 104th Cavalry, Pennsylvania National Guard and was deactivated in 1975. In 1980 it was reactivated and redesignated as the Air Cavalry in the 28th Aviation Brigade based largely at Fort Indiantown Gap. The Veterans Association was formed in 1965.

Consists primarily of administrative records of the 104th Veteran Association including letters, memoranda and pamphlets of annual banquets, 1965-1983. The materials were collected by members of the association and relate to their careers with the 104th, including scrapbooks of newsclippings and photographs, 1913-1972, regimental histories, 1971 and 1974. Also present are color 16mm motion picture films of a review parade at Fort Indiantown Gap, ca. 1960 (2 reels) and black and white 16mm motion picture films of Troop K including parade reviews, mounted pistol demonstrations and Governor Arthur James' inaugural parade, 1938-1941 (5 reels).



PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records