Manuscript Group 366 GRAEME PARK COLLECTION 1743-1918
Graeme Park is a historical site administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. The buildings of Graeme Park were constructed by Pennsylvania Deputy Governor William Keith, 1721-1722, and were originally used as a distillery. The property was sold to Dr. Thomas Graeme in 1739 who renovated it to serve as his country estate. Elizabeth Graeme Ferguson, Graeme's only surviving child, inherited the property and subsequently resided there. The property later passed to Dr.William Smith, Elizabeth's nephew by marriage, and he divided the estate and sold individual lots. In 1920, Mr. and Mrs. Welsh Strawbridge acquired the land on which the main house stands and restored the mansion to its original condition. In 1958, the Strawbridges gave the property to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Graeme Park is of significance because the mansion is the only surviving residence of a colonial Pennsylvania governor. The site is also of historic and architectural interest because it has been little altered since its foundation was laid in the eighteenth century, providing the visitor with a valuable glimpse of colonial life in Montgomery County.
The collection consists of the following materials:
Ledger of John Stedman and Co. (maintained by Charles Stedman), 1743-1753.
It appears that Charles Stedman was keeping records of the Philadelphia
side of his brother John's trade in transporting German immigrants. John
Stedman was a merchant in Rotterdam.
Journal of Charles Stedman, 1750-1755. (1 vol.)
A Willing Commonplace Book, written by Elizabeth Graeme Ferguson,
Correspondence to Elizabeth Graeme Ferguson
Letter from M. Vansant of Davis Grove in Montgomery County, undated, containing
a history of Graeme Park. Also included are photographs of the interior of
the mansion, 1898-1918
The Archives holds in its authority file for this collection photocopies of seven
original letters, 1780-1795 written to Elizabeth Graeme Ferguson from George Meade
and Eliza Ketland. The originals are located at Graeme Park, 859 County
Line Road, Horsham, Pennsylvania 19044. Arrangements to see the collection may
be made by calling either the site administrator or regional curator at (215)