PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 367
LAWRIE AND GREEN COLLECTION
[ca. 1922-1960]
56 cubic feet


In 1922 Harrisburg architect M. Edwin Green (1896-1985) joined with Pittaburgh engineer Ritchie Lawrie (1890-1962) to form the Harrisburg architectual firm of Lawrie and Green. Disbanded in 1972, the firm designed several hundred buildings in central Pennsylvania and throughout the state including the North Office Building, the State Farm Show complex, the Dauphin County Courthouse, and the William Penn Memorial Museum and Archives Building in Harrisburg.

The collection consists primarily of black and white photographic prints and mixed media layout and design boards of Lawrie and Green's proposed or completed jobs in central Pennsylvania, especially Harrisburg, 1922-1960. The firm specialized principally in the design of university and college campus buildings, churches, elementary and high schools, hospitals, and hotels. In addition to numerous public buildings in Harrisburg, the firm also designed the Lycoming County Courthouse, Williamsport; the Sunbury Hospital, Sunbury; the Hunt Library and Student Union Building at Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh; the Warren Municipal Building, Warren; and the Williamsport YWCA Building, Williamsport.



PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records