PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 386
PENNSYLVANIA FEDERATION OF WOMEN'S CLUBS RECORDS
1895-1987
11 cubic feet


The Pennsylvania Federation of Women's Clubs was founded in 1895 in Philadelphia. The Federation unites and promotes legislation and civic, educational, moral and social initiatives relating to women.

Contains primarily the administrative files of the Federation, 1895-1982, including accounts, budgets, histories, issues of their newsletter, Pennsylvania Clubwoman, photographs of presidents and committee chairpeople, annual reports, treasurer's account books, yearbook directories, etc. Among these are records of special projects reflecting the Federation's contribution to Pennsylvania social welfare, including environmental conservation; history; homefront service during World War II; aiding the condition of the American Indian, 1961-1968; the restoration of Independence Hall; establishing a youth conservation program, 1945-1970; helping flood victims during the 1972 Hurricane Agnes disaster; and purchasing the Wilkins Farm area for the development of the Allegheny National Forest, 1929-1965.

The records of the Junior Women's Club are also included, which is a subsidiary of the Federation, supporting projects in addition to promoting independent projects, such as programs for the mentally retarded and youth.

Gift of the Federation, 1985.




PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records