PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Manuscript Group 396
MILFORD H. PATTERSON ARCHITECTURAL DESIGNS
[ca. 1940-1980]
100 cubic feet


Milford H. Patterson (b. 1910, d. 1983) was a registered Pennsylvania architect, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Architectural School, 1932, a charter member of the Pennsylvania Society of Water Color Painters, and a member of the American Institute of Architects. Before opening his own architectural practice in 1945, he was associated with J.A. & F.G. Dempwolf of York, H.R. Lenker of York, Granville E. Paules of Columbia, B.E. Starr of Harrisburg, Lawrie and Green of Harrisburg, James L. Minnich of Harrisburg, and W.L. Murray of Harrisburg. Patterson specialized in the design of churches, small businesses, apartment buildings, private residences, in addition to the alteration and additions to existing structures. Clients include UTZ Potato Chip Co., Hanover; Bethlehem Steel Co., Steelton; West Shore Country Club, Camp Hill; Hershey Chocolate Corp., Hershey; Zion Luthern Church, Harrisburg; and St. Paul's Lutheran Church, New Cumberland.

Contains primarily blueprints, drawings, and tracings of Patterson's proposed or completed jobs in South Central Pennsylvania, especially the Harrisburg area, and related business correspondence, ca. 1940-1980. Architectural drawings are arranged by Job Number, and related correspondence, specifications and accounts for architectural projects designed by Patterson are arranged alphabetically by project.

In addition there are artist conceptions or elevation drawings grouped by churches, synagogue, and social organizations; commercial buildings; public buildings; or residential buildings. Also there are architectural drawings, arranged alphabetically, for proposals or projects in the preliminary stage; prospects with other architects, and miscellaneous projects. Of special interest are Patterson's designs as a student at the University of Pennsylvania Architectural School, and matted or oversized drawings, which are stored separately.

Gift of Kent H. Patterson, 1986. Permission needed from donor for reproductions from the collection.



PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records