PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Pennsylvania Canal Maps

Map Book #1

Please select a map tile to view larger version (individual tiles are PDF files, approximately 1-2 MB in size)

 

Book 01, page 00

Index (1 section).

Book 01, page 01

"Plan of Valley Rail Road Connexion near Downingtown. One at each end of sliding about 800 feet long," n.d. (2 sections).

Book 01, page 02

"Morgans Corner Section," showing Old Road, n.d. (1 section).

Book 01, page 03

"Eagle Section," showing Old Road, n.d. (1 section).

Book 01, page 04

"Conestoga Section," showing Old Road, n.d. (1 section).

Book 01, page 05

"Plan of Land Situate In Penn Township Serveyed For Mr. Thos. Reeves Jr. in January 1832 by E. H. Gill." (2 sections)

Book 01, page 06

"Plot for use of Commonwealth Including Rail Road and Street to River contains 5 3/4 Acres + or -," n.d. (2 sections).

 

Book 01, page 07

(Columbia Wrightsville Bridge and River) showing "Proposed Route of Railway. Designed by C. Kirk and Surveyed October A.D. 1830, by Jonas P Fairlamb, Civil Engineer, Delaware State. C. G. Childs, Lithr. Philadelphia Presented by Caleb Kirk, State of Delaware, To Legislature of Pennsylvania." (2 sections).

Book 01, page 08

"Map Exhibing the Location of the Slip and Inclined Plane for Section Boats at Columbia. Property of the Commonwealth. Engineers office, Harrisburg, November 18th. 1842." (1 section)

Book 01, page 09

"Proposed Location For the Branch Road to Connect the Philadelphia & Reading and Philadelphia & Columbia Rail Roads," n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 10

(New Locomotive Depot at Columbia) showing Turn Table, Pit Tracks, Interior of Shops, Old Depot, etc., n.d. (1 section). Also: Draft of Strickler's Lot with letter of explanation addressed to Gen. A. L. Rounfort, Supt. of Col. and Philadelphia R.R., n.d. (1 section)

Book 01, page 11

"New Depot and Tracks at Columbia," n.d. Shows: Wood House, Stationary Engine, Smith Shop, Dispatchers Office, etc. (1 section)

Book 01, page 12

"Reliance Transportation Company (via) Pennsylvania Rail Roads and Canals From Philadelphia To Pittsburg..." Geo. Lehman, Del., P. S. Duval Lith. Philadelphia, n.d. (1 section)

Book 01, page 13

"Map of the Western Termination of the Delaware and Schuykill Canal... Philadelphia 4 May, 1839. Samuel H. Kneass, Engineer of the D & S Canal Coy. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 14

"Elevation of the Permanent Bridge at Market Street with the propsed alteration for the passage of the Rail Way," George Merrick, Engineer, n.d. (4 sections)

Book 01, page 15

(Permanent Bridge at Market Street, n.d.) Shows: Tops of Piers are on level with Market Street. Drawn by George Merrick, Engineer and approved by Samuel Hains, City Surveyor. (3 sections)

Book 01, page 16

"A Map of Rail Way to Avoid the Columbia Inclined Plane," by J. Scott, Assist Engineer. John P. Baily, Feb. 16th. 1837, Engineer. (4 sections)

Book 01, page 17

"Draft of 11,000 Acres of Iron and Coal Land in the Hazelton and Beaver Meadow or Second Anthracite Coal Field in Schuylkill and Luzerne Counties Pennsylvania." The Estate of John Hare Powel, Esq. Serveyed 1845 by W. F. Roberts, Engineer of Mines and Colliery Viewer. (1 section)

Book 01, page 18

Spark Arrestor invented by James Fleming, State Depot, Hollidaysburg, PA., July 1844. Haden Smith, Engineer(?). (1 section)

Book 01, page 19

"Survey of the Downingtown and Chester Rail Way," John P. Baily, Engineer, Dec. 4th. 1837. (6 sections)

Book 01, page 20

"Routes For Avoiding the Schuykill Inclined Plane, Surveyed by Authority of the Canal Commissioners, For the State of Pennsylvania," by Wm. Milnor Roberts, n.d. (6 sections)

Book 01, page 21

"Walnut-Creek Aqueduct, n.d." (three arches of the same construction at Elk Creek). (2 sections)

Book 01, page 22

(Presque-Isle Bay, Mill Creek, Cascade Run), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 23

"General Map of the Route from Conneaut Lake to Lake Erie as Examined and Reported Upon, By D. B. Douglass, Profr. Engineer U.S.M.A. N.W. Section Penna. Canal. Drawn under the direction of Profr. Douglass by T. B. Brown, Assistant Engineer," n.d. (3 sections)

Book 01, page 24

(Walnut Creek, Ridge Road, Nicholson's), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 25

(Trout Run, Chapmans to Eaton's), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 26

(Elk Creek and Hall's Run), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 27

(From M. Jackson's to Head of Crooked Creek), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 28

(Erie & Crawford Line from Bowman's to Hills), n.d. (3 sections)


Book 01, page 29

(Big Conneaut Creek from Fulurler's to beyond Foster's Mill), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 30

(Big Conneaut Creek from Summit Level to Wing's Mill), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, page 31

(Conneaut Lake & Beaver Dam Run), n.d. (2 sections)

Book 01, pg 32

"Plan of the Conneaut & Shenango Summits Shewing the location of the Canal and Feeder west from Pitneys." Sep: 20 1829, J. Ferguson, Engineer. (1 section)

 

PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records