PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 



Pennsylvania State Archives

RG-12
Records of the DEPARTMENT OF HIGHWAYS



A State Highway Department was created in 1903 to cooperate with the Commonwealth's political subdivisions in the improvement and maintenance of highways. Initially the Department served as a disbursing agency and was primarily responsible for administering state grants to local communities. Legislation passed in 1911 reorganized the Highway Department, provided for a system of highways to be maintained solely by the state, and for a highway network financed on both the state and local level.

The Department of Highways, as it was officially designated under the Administrative Code of 1923, was given exclusive authority and jurisdiction over state highways, and general supervisory powers over all roads financed in whole or in part by state funds. Though the licensing of motor vehicles had been made a responsibility of the Department, in 1929 this function was transferred to the Department of Revenue. The Department of Highways was abolished in 1970 and replaced by the Department of Transportation. For related types of materials see the Records of the Turnpike Commission (RG-29) and Records of the Department of Transportation (RG-52).

Executive Office

Bureau of Construction

Bureau of Materials, Testing and Research

Bureau of Public Information

Equipment and Inventory Bureau

Legal Bureau

Pennsylvania State Highway Commission

Engineering Districts


Last processing update: 7/21/2014, acc. #6632


PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records