PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 



Pennsylvania State Archives

RG-45
Records of the DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND MINERAL INDUSTRIES



The Department of Mines was created in 1903 to succeed the Bureau of Mines, which had been established in the Department of Internal Affairs in 1897. The name of the Department was changed in 1956 to Mines and Mineral Industries. In keeping with its primary responsibility of protecting coal miners from unsafe working conditions, the Department enforced the anthracite and bituminous coal mining laws of the Commonwealth, inspected mines and collieries, investigated serious accidents, and supervised the examination and certification of applicants for certain mining jobs. The Department also supervised the restoration of strip-mine areas, promoted research relating to new uses and markets for coal, and published the annual reports of the coal mine inspectors. In 1971 the Department of Mines and Mineral Industries was abolished and its powers and duties transferred to the newly created Department of Environmental Resources.

Secretary



Last minimal processing update: 12/15/2010, acc. #3517 (bmr)


PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records