PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 



Pennsylvania State Archives

RG-46
Records of the VALLEY FORGE PARK COMMISSION


Preservation efforts at Valley Forge began when the Valley Forge Centennial and Memorial Association acquired Washington's Headquarters at Valley Forge in 1878 with an eye to creating a lasting memorial commemorating the 1777-1778 winter spent by General George Washington's army encamped at Valley Forge. Its functions were inherited by the Valley Forge Park Commission, which met for the first time on June 17, 1893, and which was intended to preserve, improve and maintain the space as a public park, and to make its historically important sites accessible to visitors. The Park Commission operated the State park independently until 1923, when the Commission was placed under the Pennsylvania Department of Forests and Waters. In 1971 the Park Commission was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Administrative and operational responsibility for Valley Forge State Park was formally transferred by Park Commission Chairman Annamaria M. Molloy to the federal government on March 30, 1977.


Last processing update: 02/24/2010 (amw)


PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records