PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records

 

 

 


Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Bureau of Archives and History
Pennsylvania State Archives


RG-13
RECORDS OF THE PENNSYLVANIA HISTORICAL AND MUSEUM COMMISSION
Series Descriptions



Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums

The Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums preserves and interprets the culture, history, and natural environment of Pennsylvania through the 26 museums and historic sites it directly operates across the Commonwealth. The Division of Architecture and Conservation manages major maintenance projects for all 49 historic properties owned by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and also administers the Commonwealth Conservation Center in Harrisburg to provide conservation treatment for the collections at all of the sites and museums owned by the Commonwealth. In addition to directly administering the daily operations at 26 of the Commission's 49 historic sites and museums, the Bureau's staff also provides technical and professional advice to private and public museums and historical organizations across the Commonwealth. From 1967 there was a Bureau of Museums and a Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties that were eventually reorganized into the present Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums. During this period, efforts were underway for acquiring the Robert Fulton Birthplace in Lancaster County, the Old Stone House in Butler County, the Wilmot House in Wayne County, Gallatin's Home at Friendship Hill in Fayette County, and the Hughes House in Green County, among others. During this period, additional land was also acquired to expand the holdings at such existing historical sites as the Pennsylvania Farm Museum of Landis Valley, Bushy Run Battlefield, Fort Le Boeuf, and Daniel Boone Homestead.


Administrative and Correspondence Files of the Bureau Director,
1979-1987
(10 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.56} [Holdings]

Grouped alphabetically by subject and arranged thereunder chronologically by date of document.

Annual and semi-annual reports, visitation reports, contingency plans, personnel records, automotive and insurance records, internship program records, inventories, procedure manuals, and correspondence files of the Director of the Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums. Information provided varies with type of document. Examples of subjects for which file folders exist is Anthracite Museum Complex, Associate's Manual Committee, Automotive records, Capital Expenditures, CETA Personnel, Community Work Experience (CWA) Program, Cornwall History, Curatorial Committee, and Curtin Village. Other subjects are Eckley Associates, Fort Pitt Associates, Landis Valley Associates, Major Maintenance Funds, Nathan Denison House Associates, Old Mill Village Associates, Pennsylvania Farm Museum of Landis Valley, Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania Associates, Somerset Historical Center, South Central Pennsylvania Museum, and Valley Forge State Park History.

Administrative Files of the Director of the William Penn Memorial Museum,
1961-1987
(26 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.57} [Holdings]

Arranged alphabetically by subject.

Museum accreditation reports, construction project records, dedication records, education and interpretation program records, newspaper clippings, and correspondence of the Director of the State Museum. Information provided varies with type of record. Examples of subject folder titles include, Archaeology (1985-1986), Friends of the State Museum of Pennsylvania (1985-1989), Becker and Becker Space Requirement Report, (1949-1961), Black History (1973-1982), Bookstore (1981), and Clippings (1981). Construction reports are arranged numerically by General State Authority Project Number and include drawings and diagrams of exhibit cases, electrical wiring schematics, and pre-final inspection reports. Dedication records are present for the dedication of the State Museum building in 1965, dedication of the Hall of Science and Technology in 1973, and dedication of the Hall of Anthropology in 1975. The education records include materials for a bicentennial play, a community film project, an inter-agency program for the handicapped, a folk festival summer, a guide to the Hall of Natural History, a history festival, opera education programs, and interpretation guidelines.

Historic Sites and Museum Administrative Files,
1988-2010.
(14 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.296} [Holdings]

Grouped randomly, and occasionally by subject. Historic Site files are arranged numerically by a three-digit code, such as 5.19.20 assigned to Old Economy Village, in which 5 repesents the agency (PHMC), 19 is assigned to a particualr property (OEV) and 20 represents a category of file, in this case an Investigative Report.

Monthly historic site administrator reports from 1998 and 2007-2009 (incomplete), donation reports, legal agreements and contracts, associates activities, insurance, fiscal equipment grants, news releases, publicity, marketing, minor and major maintenance projects, annual site reports, investigative reports, exhibits project reports, collections updates, audit reports, real estate, facilitiy uses, purchasing, general management planning, operations and security, visitation forms and tallies, and similar types of materials relating to the operation of properties administered by the Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums. Information provided varies with type of document. Topics include the Landis Valley Institute, non-state owned historic sites such as Gettysburg National Historic Site, the American Transportation Heritage Society, the Delaware and Lehigh Canal Heritage Park, Pennsylvania Trails of History, and the Annual PHMC Associates Forum. Also present are Historic Site Files with reporting content furnished to the Bureau office on a regular basis by Site Administrators through the Northern, Eastern, Central and Western Division Chiefs. Also included are reports, draft policies, exhibit plans and memoranda issued by BHSM Architectural Services and the Division of Architecture and Conservation, and Commonwealth Legislative Bills and Acts pertaining to historic sites and museums, including Public Law 101-601 Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation Act, Acts 45, 47, 1988-72 and House Bills 774, 1731, 1743 and 2032. Other topics include property signage, a performance audit of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, the Bushy Run Battlefield General Management Plan, BHSM Reorganization (1984), Calendar of Events, and Bureau newsletters and bulletins.

History Files,
1970-1998.
(26 cartons)

{series #13.295} [Holdings] [PARTIALLY RESTRICTED]

Arranged alphabetically by historic site and museum.

History files maintained by the Bureau Director and the Western, Central and Eastern Regional Division Chiefs of the Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums for internal reference of past site and museum activities, administration, projects, operations and Associates groups activities. Information provided varies with type of document. Examples of folder titles include General Development Plans, Biennial Survey Reports, Correspondence, Tourism Studies, Research Reports, Grant Proposals, Interpretation/Education, Annual Plans, Schedule of Events, Site Archeology, Grant Applications, Public Relations, Press Clippings/Publicity Articles, Annual Reports, Monthly Reports, Buildings and Grounds, Goals and Objectives, Visitation Reports, Analyses, Legislative Memoranda, Legal Agreements with Associates Groups, Legislation, Publicity Press Packets, Special Studies, Historical Notes, Historic Structures Reports, Interpretation Manuals, Fire/Security Files, Exhibit Graphics and Scripts, Research, Consultants Reports, Field Management Surveys, and Site Visits. Also included are some files pertaining to Valley Forge State Park operations in the early to mid-1970s.

Use of this series is partially restricted due to the presence of fire and security system content pertaining to specific historic sites and museums. See container listing for partially restricted files.

Project - Flagship Niagara Videos Relating to Construction and Ceremonies,
1986-1990.
(7 cartons)

{series #13.114} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of filming.

Videotapes recording the dismantling of the old reconstruction of the U.S. Brig Niagara and subsequent construction and sea trials of the new Flagship Niagara as well as various reenactments, dedications, parades, and launching ceremonies. The original U.S. Brig Niagara was the flagship of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry at the Battle of Lake Erie that occurred at Put-In-Bay on September 10, 1813 and in which the Northwest Territory was successfully defended from a British invasion. The original Niagara was later scuttled at Misery Bay in 1820, but was raised and reconstructed in 1913 for the centennial of the Battle of Lake Erie. The Commonwealth acquired custody of the vessel in 1931 and commenced a major reconstruction project that was hampered by lack of funding during the Great Depression. The hull was finally completed in 1943 and the masts and rigging were outfitted in 1963. By the 1980s, the reconstructed Niagara was in a decayed condition and work began on dismantling and again reconstructing the vessel. The 124 videotapes are numbered sequentially and marked with the date of filming and a brief description of the subject matter.





Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums

Architecture and Preservation



Historic Structures Reports,
1960-2008.
(3 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.186} [Holdings]

Arranged by property.

Historic structure reports provide historical context and physical description and condition of sites and properties. The reports are created by PHMC or a contracted vendor. Information for PHMC properties includes: introduction, project description, historical research, historical and archaeological evaluations, bibliographies, architectural description, architectural evaluation and conclusion, restoration and conservation program, archaeology report, drawings, field notes, correspondence, and data regarding previous restoration projects.

Records Relating to Major Maintenance and Repair Needs at Historic Sites and Museums,
1984-1987.
(4 cartons)

{series #13.60} [Holdings]

Grouped alphabetically by subject.

Monthly reports, historic structure reports, preservation maintenance survey reports, master development plans, and similar types of materials relating to major maintenance and repair projects at properties administered by the Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums. Information provided varies with type of document. Topics include repair of fire damage to the barn at Bushy Run, historic site improvements made at the Conrad Weiser Historic Park and at Daniel Boone Homestead, and the restorations of Cornwall Iron Furnace and Fort Pitt Museum. Also present are materials on construction of a bypass road and installation of a new heating system at Eckley Miners' Village and replacing shingles on buildings at the Ephrata Cloister. Other topics include an insect infestation at Peace Church, a fire and security system for the John Morton Homestead, a new visitor center, boiler and water supply for Pennsbury Manor, a water purifier for the Pennsylvania Lumber Museum, and major development plans for the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.


Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums

Commonwealth Conservation Center


Records of the Commonwealth Conservation Center,
1983-2004.

(4 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.187}[Holdings]

Randomly arranged.

Series includes operational records from the creation of the conservation center through the projects it completed while in existance. Types of records include: PHMC's correspondence, blueprints, contracts, job descriptions, articles, budgets, lists of projects in process and completed, conservation status reports, and conservation recommendation review sheets.

Save Outdoor Sculpture,
1993-1995.

(10 cartons, 2 boxes)

{series #13.176}[Holdings]

Arranged by county.

This was a federal National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property program that was administered through the Commonwealth Conservation Center. Series contains completed Save Outdoor Sculpture survey questionnaires, grant application, SOS volunteer handbook, SOS coordinator handbook, report of summary of sculptures, photographs, and index and guide of sculptures.


Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums

Placed Properties


Placed Properties Files,
1970-2003.

(7 cartons, 2boxes)

{series #13.188}[Holdings]

Randomly arranged.

Placed property records relate to the oversight of historic sites and properties previously owned by the PHMC and placed into the administrative care of local entities. Types of records include: historic site evaluations, property inventories, correspondence, printed materials, restoration projects, inventories and condition surveys, agreements and contracts.


Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties

In 1956, when Sylvester K. Stevens succeeded Donald A. Cadzow as Executive Director of the Commission, the Bureau of Museums, Historic Sites and Properties was created as part of a general reorganization. Professional staff members were at this time given civil service status under the classifications of Historian, Archivist, and Museum Curator. Removing these positions from political patronage lists was intended to create a more professional work force and avoid the disruptions previously caused by changes in political administrations. Bureau Director Earle W. Newton more vigorously promoted the Commission's historic sites and properties in order to broaden popular interest in Pennsylvania's history and also implemented a more regular maintenance program for the sites and properties. Reception centers were constructed at a number of properties where tour guides and audiotapes were used to interpret the site history for visitors. In some cases, literature was displayed for sale and filmstrips and dioramas were also used to enhance site interpretation. New buildings were also constructed at the Pennsylvania Farm Museum of Landis Valley. (Originally founded as a private museum by noted collectors Henry Kinzer Landis and George Diller Landis, the Farm Museum had been acquired by the Commission in 1953 and for a time operated somewhat independently of this Bureau.) In 1966 the Bureau of Museums, Historic Sites and Properties became the Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties and the Bureau of Museums. During late 1984 these two bureaus were reorganized into the present day Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums and the Bureau of the State Museum.


Administrative and Correspondence Files of the Bureau Director,
1956-1985.

(27 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.61} [Holdings]

Grouped alphabetically by subject and arranged thereunder chronologically by date.

Correspondence, field unit newsletters, memoranda, agreements, legal records, publications, site brochures, press releases and fuel requirement, fire protection, activity, construction and maintenance reports for historic sites and properties administered by the Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties. Records exist for Admiral Peary Park, Brandywine Battlefield State Park, Bushy Run Battlefield, Captain Phillips Rangers' Memorial, Conrad Weiser Park, Cornwall Furnace, Daniel Boone Homestead, David Bradford House, Denison House, Drake Well Museum, Ephrata Cloister, and Flagship Niagara. Also present are eight photographic prints of Cornwall Iron Furnace (ca. 1961), five prints of Ephrata Cloister taken October 21, 1900, forty-five prints of Pennsbury Manor (ca. 1944), and approximately one hundred 35mm slides of activities at Valley Forge (ca. 1974). Additional records for properties and historic sites include Benjamin Rush House, Tuscarora Academy, Seldon House, 28th Division Shrine, Robert Fulton Birthplace, Cashier's House, Fort Augusta, Fort LeBoeuf, French Azilum, Governor Printz Park, Joseph Priestley House, Frank McCoy House, Old Chester Court House, John Brown House, Bowman's Hill State Wildlife Preserve, Admiral Peary Monument, Captain Phillips' Rangers Memorial, Fort Loudon, Fort Augusta, Old Stone House, Johnston Tavern, Historic Peace Church, Searight's Tollhouse, Sodom Schoolhouse, The Highlands, Thomas Hughes House, Warrior Run Church, Old Economy Village, and Washington Crossing State Park. Also of interest is a report, "Assessment of Collections Storage Needs at Historic Sites and Museums Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission," by Ira A. Smith (1984).

Correspondence and Miscellaneous Records Relating to Historical Markers,
1945-1953.
(1 box)

{series #13.62} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of record and arranged thereunder chronologically by date of record.

Borough and city approvals, texts of marker inscriptions, progress reports, press releases, newspaper clippings, and correspondence relating to the Commission's historical roadside marker program. Information provided varies with type of document but generally includes date of erection of marker, text of marker, and location of marker.

Correspondence and Miscellaneous Reports,
1957-1964.
(1 box)

{series #13.63} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of record.

Correspondence, transcripts of speeches, and activity reports of Division Chief Robert P. L. Frick.The records cover activities at the Pennsylvania Farm Museum of Landis Valley (1957-1961) and the dedication ceremonies, formation of the Associates group and boy scout activities at the Daniel Boone Homestead (1959). Also present are materials relating to the acquisition of the Landis Valley Museum from the estate of the Landis brothers and blueprints for construction of the log cabin at Landis Valley Museum. Included is a copy of the April 1941 issue of The American-German Review containing articles about Henry Kinzer Landis, George Diller Landis and the original Landis Valley Museum. The correspondence includes information on various construction projects at Landis Valley Museum, acquisition of the Landis Valley Schoolhouse, formation of the Landis Valley Associates, and also exchanges with curators and directors at other museums and historic sites around the country. A few pieces of correspondence from Herbert H. Beck relate to the opening of the Cornwall Iron Furnace to the public. Correspondents include Landis Valley Museum Curator Blanche K. Reigle, Research and Publications Division Chief Donald C. Kent, Museums, Historic Sites and Properties Director Earle W. Newton, Properties Maintenance Supervisor Earl B. Mower, Curator Howard E. Rohlin, Administrative Assistant William J. Wewer, and Executive Director Sylvester K. Stevens.

Graeme Park House Drawings,
[ca. 1918-1919]
(1 flat box)

{series #13.64} [Holdings]

Arranged sequentially by drawing number.

Plan and elevation drawings of the mansion at Graeme Park executed by Donald McDonald Miller. Erected by Pennsylvania Deputy Governor Sir William Keith in 1722 as a distillery, this two story stone building was remodeled by Keith's son-in-law, Dr. Thomas Graeme, as an elegant Georgian countryseat during the middle of the eighteenth century. The interior of the mansion today retains original floorboards, paneling and interior paint from the period of Dr. Graeme's remodeling. The drawings depict the first and second floor plans, all four exterior elevations, all four interior parlour elevations, details of woodwork in the parlour and the west side parlour windows, dining room paneling and windows, the front doorway, and newel posts and balusters of the main staircase. Also present are depictions of the west and south chambers, and a plan of a third floor chamber and the second and third floor stair hall. Photographic slide copies of these drawings are available in the Education Division Slide Collection.

Old Economy Curators' File and Correspondence,
1948-1978.
(6 cartons)

{series #13.65} [Holdings]

Grouped alphabetically by subject and arranged thereunder chronologically by date of document.

Reports, minutes, memoranda, press releases, and correspondence file of Old Economy Village Curators. Information provided varies with type of document. Subject folder titles include Ambridge Planning and Zoning Commission, Apollo Male Voice Choir, Registrar Bruce Bazelon, Bibliography, Fireside Committee, Fort Pitt Museum, Harmony Associates, Pennsbury Manor, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Property Maintenance and Restoration, and Work Study Program.

Old Economy Register of the Members of the Harmony Society,
1805-1895.
(1 volume)
Roll 382

{series #13.66} [Holdings]

Arranged alphabetically by surname of member.

A register compiled between 1965 and 1971 from 3 x 5 cards that were possibly assembled under the Federal Writers' Project and containing 1,500 names of members of the Harmony Society. Old Economy Village Director Daniel B. Reibel compared the names in this register against the names published in Karl Arndt's George Rapp's Harmony Society, 1785-1847 (Cranberry, N. J.: 1971) but they have not been checked against the original records. If a date of death is given it means that the person died as a member of the Harmony Society. For related materials, see also MG-185 (Harmony Society Papers).

Photographs,
1960-1980.
(10 boxes, 2 folders)

{series #13.190} [Holdings]

Arranged randomly. Negatives are arranged occasionally by name of property.

Photographs, negatives and a photograph binder used for reference by the PHMC Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties staff to document properties, roadside historical markers, artifacts, specimens and structures of statewide historical significance. Subjects include Ephrata Cloister, Old Economy Village, Cornwall Furnace, Pennsylvania Farm Museum, Daniel Boone Homestead, the William Penn Memorial Museum and Archives Building, Old Customs House, Bradford House, Searight's Tollhouse, and Governor Printz Park. Also included are size 11" x 14" oversized black and white photographs of selected PHMC historic sites and museums, a photograph binder containing mounted images of PHMC archaeological excavations and specimens and William Penn Memorial Museum exhibits, artifacts and facilities, circa late 1960s, and copy contact prints arranged in folders of historic Old Economy Village images from the 1930s showing interior and exterior building scenes. Various images also document privately-owned historic sites and properties statewide including Gettysburg, Forbes Hill, Clarks Ferry, Leetonia, Pine Creek Gorge, Lakemont Park (Altoona), various early furnances and mills, Horseshoe Curve, the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Switchback at Keating Summit, and Pithole City. Individuals portraits include Major George Gordon Meade, Henry R. Edmunds, Hon. F. Carrol Bruester, Judge John Cadwalader, Edgar Smith, Sc.D., Floyd Campbel [sic], Daniel B. Stickler, Benjamin Franklin, and Charles Custis Harrison, LLD. Of special interest is the Charles G. Nash Collection of Gettysburg Battlefield Monument views from 1903, and a panoramic view of the City of Harrisburg, ca. 1900. Many 1960s photographs and negatives are attributed to PHMC photographers Karl R. Rath and Terry Musgrave.

Reports, Correspondence, Blueprints, and Miscellaneous Records Relating to Historical Property Maintenance,
1945-1975.
(5 cartons)

{series #13.67} [Holidngs]

Grouped alphabetically by name of historic property and arranged thereunder chronologically by date of document.

Maintenance inspection reports, maps, blueprints, contracts, and photographs relating to maintenance of historical properties owned by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Information provided varies with type of document but the maintenance inspection reports generally give date of inspection and detailed description of the condition of the structures and their immediate major maintenance needs. Folders exist for the Bradford House, Bushy Run State Park, Cornwall Furnace, Daniel Boone Homestead, Drake Well Memorial Park, Ephrata Cloister, Flagship Niagara, Fort Augusta, Governor Printz Park, Graeme Park, and Hope Lodge. Other subject files include Anthony Heyne Statue at Valley Forge State Park, Pennsbury Manor, Pennsylvania Farm Museum at Landis Valley, Perry Monument at Presque Isle State Park, Pottsgrove Mansion, Joseph Priestley House, Tuscarora Academy, and Warrior Run Church.

Valley Forge Park Commission Reports and Files,
1908-1983.
(2 cartons)

{series #13.68} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of document or loosely grouped by subject.

Reports, maps and plans created by the Valley Forge Park Commission. Subject files include transfer to the federal government, interim lease, legal file, and the 1976 Wagon Train. Created by an Act of the Assembly dated May 30, 1893, the Valley Forge Park Commission was granted an initial appropriation of $25,000 to purchase 250 acres of the land upon which George Washington's army had encamped in 1777-1778 and upon which earthworks were still visible. It consisted of a ten-person committee with members appointed for five-year terms by the Governor. In 1905, Governor Samuel Pennypacker signed a bill appropriating funds for a significant additional purchase of land, construction of roads and an observation tower, and erection of monuments. In the same year, the legislature removed a provision in the original legislation creating the Commission that had prevented the Commission from acquiring the Isaac Potts House that had served as General Washington's headquarters from the Centennial and Memorial Association of Valley Forge. The Centennial and Memorial Association had acquired the Potts house in 1878 and had administered the property since that time. After considerable legal wrangling between the Centennial and Memorial Association and the Valley Forge Park Commission, ownership of Washington's Headquarters was eventually transferred to the Valley Forge Park Commission. From 1923 the Valley Forge Park Commission operated under the Department of Forests and Waters. When this agency was abolished in 1970, the Valley Forge Park Commission was transferred to the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Federal legislation signed by President Gerald Ford on July 4, 1976 provided for the transfer of the Valley Forge State Park to the National Park Service.

Reports cover the years 1908, 1912, 1914, 1921-1929, 1931-1951 and frequently contain maps. A separate sub-series consists of maps and plans for "Valley Forge Park and Vicinity" drawn by J. O. Clark (1907), "Memorial Arch at Valley Forge Park" by Paul Philippe Cret (1912), "Contour and Utility Maps of Valley Forge State Park" (1927), and "Valley Forge Park" (1928). Other items in this sub-series include the "Deed Boundary Lines Along Valley Creek, the Upper Forge and the Dam" by Jacob Clark (1932), "A Master Plan for Valley Forge State Park" (1975), and "Relocation of Houdon Statue of George Washington" (undated). The pamphlets are Toward Valley Forge by University of Pennsylvania Bicentennial Committee (1940), A Trip Through Valley Forge by Norristown-Penn Trust Company (1920, Revised 1934), Valley Forge Dogwood Celebration (Saturday, May 10, 1941), Valley Forge, President Hoover's Visit, Memorial Day (May 30, 1941), Valley Forge Park, An Historical Record and Guide Book compiled by Gilbert S. Jones (1947), Valley Forge Landmarks by Henry T. MacNull (1958), and Valley Forge, Yesterday and Today by Ronald E. Heaton. Also present is a transcript of an address entitled "Observance of Anniversary of the Evacuation of the Winter Encampment, Valley Forge, January 18-19, 1778" delivered by Governor Edward Martin. Finally, there are photographs taken at a meeting of the Commissioners ca. 1974-1975 and at the ceremony for transfer of the park to the National Park Service on May 30, 1977. For related materials see also Record Group 46, Records of the Valley Forge Park Commission and Valley Forge Park Commission Reports, 1919, 1935-1939 {series #6.10}, Valley Forge Park Commission Blueprint, 1928 {series #6.8}, and Valley Forge Park Commission Condemnation Proceedings, 1940-1946 {series #6.9} in Record Group 6, Records of the Department of Forests and Waters.

Washington Crossing Park Commission Minutes and Correspondence,
1917-1998.
(5 cartons, 2 boxes)

{series #13.130} [Holdings]

Official minutes arranged chronologically by date; other records loosely grouped by topic.

Minutes, correspondence, and related records of the Washington Crossing Park Commission. Washington Crossing Park was created by an act of the General Assembly in 1917. The Commission was authorized to aquire by purchase or condemnation lands for the park and the erection of a monument commemorative of Washington and his troops crossing the Delaware River on Christmas night, 1776. The Commission was officially abolished in 1997. The records include minutes, correspondence, budget, plans and reports, rules and regulations, member lists, committee reports, grants, legal actions, and Washington Crossing Park Foundation records.

Washington Crossing Park Visitor's Log Book,
1955-1956.
(1 volume)

{series #13.131} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date.

Daily log book of Washington Crossing Park listing date, name, and home town of visitor. Some dates are annotated with comments and the total number of daily visitors to the park.

Brandywine Battlefield Commission Records,
1947-1999.
(1 carton, 2 boxes)

{series #13.132} [Holdings]

Minutes and correspondence arranged chronologically by date; other papers loosely grouped by topic.

Minutes, correspondence, and related records of the Brandywine Battlefield Commission. The Commission was established by an act of the General Assembly in 1947 with authorization to aquire by purchase, condemnation, or gift the land for the establishment of the Brandywine Battlefield Park. The Commission was authorized to preserve and manage the Revolutionary War battlefield of September 11, 1777. The Commission was officially abolished in 1997. Records consist of transcripts and official bound Commission meeting minutes, correspondence, and the papers of Commission Chairman Clifford Lewis. Issues covered are public access, rules and regulations of the battlefield, property demarcation, on-site exhibits, and battle anniversary reenactments.


Bureau of the State Museum

At one time a division of the Bureau of Museums, Historic Sites and Properties, and later a Division of the Bureau of Museums, the Bureau of the State Museum is responsible for collecting and preserving archaeological and historical artifacts and for using such artifacts to interpret the history and natural heritage of Pennsylvania through museum exhibits. Originally established as part of the State Library in 1905, the State Museum moved to its present location at 300 North Street in 1965. Curators of Archaeology, History, Fine Arts, Natural History, and Earth Science acquire and preserve collections for both study and exhibit purposes. The museum carries out its mission by presenting both long term and changing exhibitions. Visitor services and educational programming are provided through the Public Services Section. These services include special programs, lectures, festivals, and performances that are frequently co-sponsored by other organizations and institutions. The State Museum operates a planetarium as well as a mobile museum that takes museum exhibits to communities throughout the state. Among the following series are museum accession and registration records dating back to the formation of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in 1945 and a microfilm copy of a catalogue of those archaeological collections that were owned by the State Museum in the Department of Public Instruction prior to 1931.


Accession Records,
1948-1977.
(1 carton)

{series #13.69} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of accession and arranged thereunder either numerically by accession number or alphabetically by name of artifact.

Accession records including donor agreements, donor and loan cards, location file, numerical file, object file, and accession ledgers for the William Penn Memorial Museum, Pennsylvania Farm Museum of Landis Valley, Curtin Village, Pennsylvania Lumber Museum, and collections held at the Commission's other sites and properties. The type of information generally provided is accession number, name of artifact, description of artifact, dimensions of artifact, location of artifact, and name of donor.

Administrative Files of the Bureau Director,
1956-1965
(4 cartons)

{series #13.181} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of material and arranged thereunder alphabetically by subject.

Legislation, memoranda, new releases, expenses accounts, job descriptions, administrative records, and correspondence of the Director of the Bureau of Museums, Historic Sites and Properties.

Administrative Files of the Bureau Director,
1956-1961.
(6 cartons)

{series #13.183} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of material and arranged thereunder alphabetically by subject.

Correspondence, Manuscript Record Acquisitions, Meetings and Conferences, Speeches, and published Books.

Administrative Files of the Bureau Director,
1960-1983.
(22 cartons, 3 boxes)

{series #13.70} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of material and arranged thereunder alphabetically by subject.

Legislation, memoranda, new releases, expenses accounts, job descriptions, administrative records, and correspondence of Bureau of Museums Director William N. Richards (1952-1974), and Director Peter Welsh (1956-1972). Subjects of correspondence include exhibitions, loans, donations, Institute of Pennsylvania Life and Culture, National Trust for Historic Preservation, Civil Way Centennial, Early American Industries Association, and New State Museum. Also included are sub-series consisting of 3 cartons and 1 box of Budget requests, capital budget, and re-budgeting files of the Bureau Director for the period 1965-1979 and a sub-series of administrative records and correspondence of the Bureau Director for the period 1956-1983. The latter contains materials on the American Institute of Park Executives (1961-1962), Caleb Pusey House (1959-1962), Civil Service Interviews (1962), Performance Rating Reports (1960-1962), Restoration of Paintings (1962), and Pennsylvania Farm Museum (1962-1969).

Administrative Files of the Curators and Directors,
1965-1978.
(6 cartons)

{series #13.71} [Holdings]

Grouped alphabetically by subject and thereunder chronologically by date of record or correspondence.

Administrative records, memoranda, and correspondence files of the Curators of Archaeology, Natural Science, Fine and Decorative Arts, Military History, and Science, Industry and Technology in the William Penn Memorial Museum. Information provided varies with type of record. Subjects include the Apollo 11 moon landing, the 1977 Black History Exhibit, the Catholic Exhibit "God and Country," Catholic Slovak Union, Inventory of the Vault in the William Penn Memorial Museum, Mobile Museum, Museum Associates, the 1972 Peace Exhibit, Planetarium Shows, and the 1965 N. C. Wyeth Art Show. Subject folders for correspondence include Pennsylvania Federation of Women's Clubs and the Women's Advisory Committee.

Administrative and Correspondence Files of the Museum Curatorial Staff,
1958-1972
(7 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.72} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of material with individual records arranged chronologically by date of document.

One carton contains acquisition contracts, federal antiquities legislation, archaeological survey guidelines, archaeological site surveys and correspondence of Archaeology Curator Ira F. Smith III. Five cartons contain additional bibliographical materials, archaeological publications, illustrated articles, research materials, abstracts, reports, photographs, and correspondence of Archaeologist and Associate Curator Ira F. Smith III (1966-1979). One carton contains books, correspondence, records of equipment and supplies ordered, and correspondence of Curator Eric de Jonge (1958-1970), that includes materials relating to a Corning Glass Seminar, a Pennsylvania-German exhibit, the Pennsylvania-German Folklore Society, and a master plan for Historic Bethlehem (1958-1979).

Administrative and Correspondence Files of the Museum Curatorial Staff,
1948-1963
(5 cartons)

{series #13.138} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of material with individual records arranged chronologically by date of document.

Three cartons contain monthly activity reports, memoranda, legislation, policy statements, exhibit materials, articles, press releases, newspaper clippings, personnel policies, and correspondence of State Archaeologist (1946-1955), and then Chief Curator (1956-1959), John Witthoft. Also are correspondence and subject files of Senior Anthropologist (1955-1960) and Chief Curator, W. Fred Kinsey (1960-1963). One box contains news clippings and correspondence of Curator of Design and Art Ralph S. Walter (1960-1964). Among these are biographical background transcripts by Loretta Rebekah Minich and others on Columbia landscape artist and sonneteer Lloyd Mifflin and a photograph of the Rosenthal portrait of Governor Thomas Mifflin.

Administrative and Correspondence Files of the Museum Curatorial Staff,
1947-1951.
(1 box)

{series #13.236} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of material with individual records arranged chronologically by date of document.

Records contain memoranda, research material and general correspondence of Administrative Assistant (1945-1950), and then Museum Administrator (1951-1952), Charles M. Steese, reports, memoranda, travel expense vouchers and correspondence of Assistant Curator of History (1946-1949), and then Chief Curator of Folk History (1949-1958), Wallace K. Boyer and reports, memoranda, exhibit materials, travel expense vouchers and correspondence of Chief Curator Kenneth Dearolf (1947-1949) including material on Heritage of Freedom Documents (1948) and displays housed in museum exhibit cases (1947-1948).

Project - Correspondence of Penn's Landing Museum,
1972-1978.
(4 cartons)

{series #13.75} [Holdings]

Grouped by type of record and arranged thereunder variously depending on type of record.

Correspondence, memoranda, master plan, color slides, construction contracts, resumes, tickler file, and exhibit materials for the Penn's Landing Museum and Cultural Center. Included is a history of the Penn's Landing Museum and Cultural Center, a vita for Director Lothar P. Witteborg, and materials on Administrator Phillip S. Merrill, Secretary Ursula M. Reed and Intern Dona McDermott. Information provided varies with type of record. Records are grouped into Administrative, Curatorial/Education, Performing Arts, Exhibition/Graphics, Public Relations/Visitor Services, Museum Store, Custodial, Security, Master Plan, Correspondence, Traveling Exhibitions, Fixed Exhibits, Agency Purchase Requests, Color Slides, and General Services Authority Contracts.

Fisher Catalogue of Archaeological Collections Prior to 1931,
undated.
(1 microfilm roll)
Roll 3840

{series #13.76} [Holdings] [RESTRICTED]

Arranged numerically by catalogue number.

Catalogue kept by archaeologist George S. Fisher of the archaeological collections owned by the State Museum prior to 1931. The collections include human teeth and bones, worked stone and bone tools, arrow points, beads, bullets, and pottery. Information provided is catalogue number, a description of the artifact, and the location where found.

Use of this series is restricted to staff only due to the presence of personal information about donors. Inquiries about this series should be directed to the Registrar of the State Museum of Pennsylvania.

Registrar's Office Scrapbook,
1947-1951.
(1 volume, 1 microfilm roll)
Rolls 383, 3843

{series #13.77} [Holdings] [RESTRICTED]

Arranged chronologically by date of news item.

Microfilm copy of scrapbook maintained in the Registrar's Office of the State Museum containing news clippings and photographs relating to donations and exhibits. Subjects treated include the donation of the bell from the U. S. S. United States, dedication ceremonies at the Winterthur Museum, and presentation of a replica of the Liberty Bell to the State Museum. New items on exhibits include a rafting on the Susquehanna exhibit, exhibits of rare prints, and an exhibit of the battle flags of the 28th Division. Also present are news clippings concerning the donation of the 1902 Gardner-Serpolet phaeton, 1903 Mitchell Roadster, 1909 Rolls Royce Landaulet, and 1910 Stevens-Duryea to the State Museum by Commissioner A. Atwater Kent.

Use of this series is restricted to staff only due to the presence of personal information about donors. Inquiries about this series should be directed to the Registrar of the State Museum of Pennsylvania.


Individual Historic Properties (1930-present)


Administrative Files of Brandywine Battlefield Park,
2013.
(1 box)

{series #13.210} [Holdings]

Unarranged.

Administrative file of Brandywine Battlefield Park. Includes the Brandywine Battlefield Preservation Plan and Atlas: Revolution in the Peaceful Valley, prepared by the Chester County Planning Commission and John Milner Associates, Inc., in December 2013 (2 volumes).


Administrative Files of Ephrata Cloister,
1950-2007.
(6 cartons, 1 box)

{series #13.299} [Holdings]

Randomly arranged.

Administrative file of Ephrata Cloister. Includes ingoing and outgoing correspondence of Historic Site Administrators John Kraft (1964-1983) and Nadine A. Steinmetz (1984-1996). Also present are monthly admissions reports, historic site evaluations, Vorspiel special event planning files, memoranda to site staff, memoranda to Eastern Region Division Chief Robert Sieber, conference files, manuscript reproduction policies, and site exhibtion files. Of particular note are administrative files of the Ephrata Cloister Associates that address marketing initiatives, grants, interpretation, custodial guide scripts and outlines, heritage tourism, motorcoach marketing, licensing agreements with PHMC, museum store operations, financial reports, meeting minutes, and annual planning reports. One box contains records of the Ephrata Cloister Junior Historians Chapter, chiefly student essays, publications, papers, special events literature and photos, and miscellaneous records of the Ephrata Cloister Chorus, comprising of correspondence and reports.




Division of Public Records, 1903-1923 (Under State Library)

The State Archives was originally established as an administrative unit within the State Library in 1903 where it was designated the Division of Public Records. It was responsible for preserving and making available to the public records created by the activities of state government that were deemed to possess permanent historical value. When the State Library became part of the Department of Public Instruction in 1923 the Division of Public Records became the Division of Archives and History. Soon thereafter, it became known as the Archives Division of the State Library, or simply as the State Archives. In 1945, the State Archives was taken out of the Department of Public Instruction and placed into the new Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission where it resumed its original name, Division of Public Records. Since 1967 it has been the Division of Archives and Manuscripts (in the Bureau of Archives and History) or the Pennsylvania State Archives.


General Correspondence of the Custodian,
1904-1910.
(1 folder)

{series #13.78} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of correspondence.

Correspondence file of Custodian of Public Records Luther R. Kelker. Subjects treated include the "Hannastown Declaration of Independence," Fraktur documents belonging to the German Seventh Day Baptist Society of Ephrata, condition of the Pennsylvania Charter, and inquiries of an historical nature concerning military casualties, French Asylum, and the Mifflin Papers that were directed to the Division. Among the names of correspondents are Crombie Allen, H. M. North, Jr., John W. Jordan, J. G. Rosengarten, William W. Curtin, Daniel Musser, Andrew Noble, David Emmert, Linda Stine Kaub, Director of the Carnegie Museum W. J. Holland, and Secretary of the Commonwealth Frank M. Fuller. Included is a list of records missing from the bundle sent to the State Library by the Secretary of the Commonwealth that had been used for preparing the Pennsylvania Archives, Fourth Series. Also present are copies of letters from Luther R. Kelker acknowledging receipt of various artifacts for the State Museum collections. In addition, there are typescripts of the Acts passed in 1903 and 1910 for creating a division in the State Library for preserving public records and for establishing standard paper, ink, and typewriter ribbons for use of all departments of the Commonwealth.

General Correspondence of the State Librarian,
1910-1911, 1917.
(1 folder)

{series #13.79} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of correspondence.

Correspondence addressed to State Librarian Thomas Lynch Montgomery primarily from Herman B. Ames of the Public Archives Commission and the chief clerk of the Secretary of the Commonwealth. Subjects treated include public records legislation, locating early marriage licenses, and inspection of county records by Custodian of Public Records Luther R. Kelker. Also present are receipts for money deposited in the Pennsylvania State Treasury by State Librarian Thomas Lynch Montgomery for transportation of lantern slides belonging to the Pennsylvania State Museum.

Minutes of the Advisory Commission,
1903, 1909-1912, 1918.
(1 folder)

{series #13.80} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of meeting.

Minutes of the meetings of the Advisory Commission to the Division of Public Records that consisted of John W. Jordan, Ethan Allen Weaver, Frank R. Diffenderfer, Herman B. Ames, Boyd Crumrine, Julius F. Sachse, and Charles Tubbs. Created under a joint resolution of the General Assembly under "An Act for the creation and government of a division of the State Library for the preservation of public records" passed April 14, 1903, the Advisory Commission first met at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania on August 3, 1903. It set fees to be charged by the Division of Public Records, made recommendations to the legislature to extend jurisdiction of Division of Public Records to include care records of the counties and municipalities, and advised the governor on standards and procedures for the care of public records. Information provided includes dates of meetings, names of those present, and resolutions passed. Also present is a copy of P. L. 232 passed May 14, 1915 to amend the original Act of 1903 and a copy of the Act to Amend, revise, and consolidate the law relating to the State Library and Museum approved May 23, 1919. The Advisory Commission was abolished under P. L. 246 on May 13, 1919.

Reports,
1903-1904, 1906-1907, 1912, 1917-1920.
(1 folder)

{series #13.81} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of report.

Annual reports addressed to State Librarian Thomas Lynch Montgomery concerning acquisition, classification, and care of records acquired by the Division of Public Records in the State Library. Information provided is date of report, a description of the work accomplished, amount of fees collected, and recommendations by the Custodian of Public Records for changes of procedures. Among these is the investigative report of the Custodian of Public Records Luther R. Kelker on the classification, indexing, and conservation procedures used in 1903 at the New York State Library, the Astor-Lenox Libraries in New York City, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, and Library of Congress. During this period, approximately 1,500 files of documents, and an even larger collection of commission, pension, warrant, and mortgage books, were transferred from the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth to the custody of the of the State Library. These were arranged into the appropriate classifications, the documents flattened and repaired as needed, and the collections indexed. The Division of Public Records also responded to historical, political, civil, military, and genealogical inquiries. From 1904, a seal based upon one formerly used by the Master of Rolls two centuries before was affixed to certificates of military service issued by the Division and fees began to be collected for services to the public.

Reports of the State Librarian,
1887-1890, 1893-1895, 1899-1918, 1921-1922.
(45 volumes)

{series #13.82} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of report.

Monthly, biennial, and annual reports of the State Librarian (1887-1922), the Division of Public Records (1903-1904, 1906-1907, 1912, 1917, 1920). Included are photographs of the library and old museum, a list of state publications sent to institutions in 1908, and information on accessions.


State Museum, 1905-1945 (Under State Library and Department of Public Instruction)

Created in 1905, the State Museum was originally part of the State Library. As part of a general reorganization, the State Library became the State Library and Museum in 1919 and this, in turn, became an administrative unit within the Department of Public Instruction in 1923. In 1945, the State Museum was separated from the State Library and combined with the Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the State Archives to form the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. The State Museum was at that period housed in the building located to the south of the State Capitol that is presently named the Speaker Matthew J. Ryan Office Building. In 1965, the State Museum moved to its current location in the William Penn Memorial Museum Building at 300 North Street.


Accession Registers,
1930-1947.
(4 volumes)

{series #13.83} [Holdings] [RESTRICTED]

Grouped chronologically by date register was initiated and arranged thereunder sequentially by accession number.

Accession registers for acquisition of artifacts and works of art by the State Museum. The type of information provided is accession number, date of accession, a brief description of artifact or work of art, and name of person from whom acquired. The first volume is a notebook kept by William J. Durborow for the period May 18, 1930-June 3, 1932 containing valuable background information on accessions. The second volume is a book kept by a Miss Garretson with which State Museum Curator Henry Deisher apparently synchronized his lists in Inventories, 1916-1937 {series #13.90}. It begins in 1934 with accession number N3960 through Accession N4363 in 1936. The third volume (formerly called the "second accessions book") begins in January 1937 and continues through March 1947. This volume continues the category-prefixed numbering system commenced in the 1930s with the addition of the last two digits for the year of accession that appears before the category letter. A key in the front of this volume decodes the lettering system. It should also be noted that some accessions from the 1930s were added to the back of this volume about 1956. The fourth volume is a donations and purchase book that duplicates the information contained in the preceding register except that it commences in October 1936, three months before the beginning of that ledger. Since Henry Deisher's lists end early in 1936 and this volume only commences near the end of 1936, there remains a substantial gap of several months' duration for which no accession records are known to survive.

Use of this series is restricted to staff only due to the presence of personal information about donors. Inquiries about this series should be directed to the Registrar of the State Museum of Pennsylvania.

Administrative Files and General Correspondence of the State Library and the Museum Director,
1929-1931.
(1 folder)

{series #13.84} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of correspondence.

General correspondence of the State Library and Museum Director Frederic A. Godcharles. Subjects include archaeological excavations at Safe Harbor and Washington Boro, petroglyphs in the Susquehanna River, and the production of a motion picture on Pennsylvania. Among these files are a number of letters concerning a personality conflict in which Henry Deisher accused State Archaeologist Donald Cadzow of "faking" pottery vessels by restoring missing pieces and painting the vessels over. There are extended references to the making and limited distribution of such pottery replicas and to Deisher's feeling that Cadzow is mistreating him and Cadzow's perception that Deisher is trying to besmirch Cadzow's professional reputation. Correspondents include Donald Cadzow, Henry Deisher, J. A. Walls, and Secretary of Motion Pictures Producers and Distributers of America, Inc. Carl E. Milliken.

Administrative Files of Directors and Assistants,
1923-1944.
(32 folders)

{series #13.85} [Holdings]

Grouped by director or assistant director and arranged thereunder alphabetically by subject or surname of correspondent.

Budget records, museum exhibit materials, photographs, and correspondence files of Director Frederic A. Godcharles (1923-1931), Director C. F. Hoban (1932-1935), Assistant Director Gertrude B. Fuller (1936-1939), Acting Assistant Director Henry W. Shoemaker (1939), and Assistant Director Mabel E. Bitner (1938-1944). The museum exhibits for the period 1932-1935 included American Indian Exhibits, Evolution of Home Heating, Pennsylvania Authors, Pennsylvania Notable Women, and State Bird and Flower. The museum exhibits for the period 1936-1939 included a Bird Group, Elk Group, Flower Group, Wood Buffalo, and the Pennsylvania Painters Exhibit sponsored by the Plastic Club of Philadelphia. The museum exhibits for 1939 were the Federal Art Exhibit, World War I Paintings, Kentucky Rifles, Paintings of the Presidents of the United States, Stamp Exhibit, and the Christmas Seals Exhibit. Exhibits for the period 1940-1944 include: International Salon of Pictorial Photography, Civil War Exhibit in Honor of 75th Anniversary of the Grand Army of the Republic, Art Association of Harrisburg, Farm Show Week, and United States Cooperates with RAF British Information Service.

Budget Papers for the State Library and Museum,
1927-1929.
(1 folder)

{series #13.86} [Holdings]

Budget report for the State Library and Museum, 1927-1929 amounting to $220,000. In 1927 under Governor Fisher the Office of Budget Secretary was created to administer the Teacher's Retirement Fund, Employees' Retirement Fund, and the Sinking Fund that amounted to approximately $65,000,000. Arthur P. Townsend was appointed as the first Secretary of the Budget and was responsible for control of all state government budget expenditures, of which the biennial expenditures for public instruction amounted to $85,000,000. This budget report for the State Library and Museum contains tables showing breakdowns for expenses, salaries, and wages for each division and employee. Separate charts reveal the names, titles, dates of appointment, and annual salaries for each employee of the State Library and Museum.

Correspondence and Related Files of the Museum Staff,
1910-1942.
(17 folders)

{series #13.87} [Holdings]

Grouped by staff member and thereunder arranged alphabetically by subject or surname of correspondent.

Exhibit materials and correspondence files of Curator Thomas L. Montgomery (1910), Curator Boyd P. Rothrock (1916-1918, 1923-1926), State Library and Museum Curator Henry K. Deisher (1932-1941), Senior Museum Assistant Charles M. Steese (1940-1942), Preparators Paul W. Sharp and Lewis E. Pitts (1938-1941), and Taxidermists Charles R. Andes and Baird Hershey (1939-1940).

Correspondence of the Superintendent,
1935, 1940-1945.
(7 folders)

{series #13.262} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date.

Correspondence of the Superintendent of Public Instruction as it relates to the State Archives. The files consist of land acquisition issues of Cornwall Furnace, Ephrata Cloister, Old Economy, and the Brig Niagara.

General Correspondence of Directors and Assistants,
1928-1941
(6 folders)

{series #13.88} [Holdings]

Grouped chronologically by directors and assistants' terms of service, and thereunder arranged alphabetically by surname of correspondent.

General correspondence of Dr. Frederic A. Godcharles, Dr. C.F. Hoban, Mrs. Gertrude B. Fuller, Mrs. Mabel E.Bitner, and Colonel Henry W. Shoemaker. Topics include museum exhibits and loans, dinosaur tracks near York Spring, Pennsylvania in 1938, the acquisition of William Penn's Power of Attorney document regarding Penn's lands in America from 1711, and the acquisition of Letters Patent Restoring Province of Pennsylvania to Penn in 1694. The search room finding aid identifies the contents of each folder in this series.


General Correspondence of the Curator of the State Museum,
1916-1918, 1923.
(1 folder)

{series #13.89} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of correspondence.

Correspondence file of State Museum Curator Boyd R. Rothrock containing primarily letters relating to arranging exhibits of the mineral and essential manufactured products of the state. Also present is a list dated September 1, 1922 of paintings in the permanent collection of the Carnegie Institute and a copy of an article Carnegie Institute Fine Arts Director John W. Beatty concerning the John White Alexander murals.

Inventories,
1916-1937.
(16 folders)

{series #13.90} [Holdings] [RESTRICTED]

Arranged alphabetically by list and thereunder by sequentially assigned inventory number.

Inventories, accession registers, and catalogs kept by Henry K. Deisher of artifacts and works of art owned by the State Museum in the Department of Public Instruction. The type of information generally provided is name of collection, date acquired, a brief description of the collection, and name of donor. Among these are records of Dr. G. L. Laverty Collection, Henry E. Hoke Collection, Steuben Jenkins Collection, Lane Collection, Mary Ellen Nolt Collection, Deisher Collection, Isaac Will Collection, Pictures and Etchings, Safe Harbor Fragments, and catalogues for the Strickler, Washington Boro, and Keller Sites. Also present is inventory of Molds and Casts by Preparator Paul Sharp. Among the archaeological inventories are records of Shenk's Ferry Site, Washington Boro Site, Clemson's Island Site, and Keller Site. The key to the lettering system will be found in the front of the third volume in Accession Registers, 1930-1947 {series #13.83}. The alphabetical subject series lists are accompanied by descriptive memoranda from State Museum Registrar Bruce Bazelon to Associate Archivist Martha Simonetti concerning the contents of each series.

Use of this series is restricted to staff only due to the presence of personal information about donors. Inquiries about this series should be directed to the Registrar of the State Museum of Pennsylvania.

Report of the Curator of the State Museum,
1918.
(1 folder)

{series #13.91} [Holdings]

Annual report submitted by State Museum Curator Boyd R. Rothrock to State Museum Director Thomas L. Montgomery. Information provided details conditions in each division of the museum as many staff members departed to enter military service. An attached report of the Lantern Slide Division provides transportation expenses and losses due to breakage. Finally there is a list of donations received and of specimens purchased by the Division of Natural History.

Reports of the State Library and Museum,
1927-1930.
(2 folders)

{series #13.92} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of report.

Monthly and biennial reports of the State Library and Museum to Department of Public Instruction Superintendent John A. H. Keith by Director of the State Library and Museum. Information provided includes breakdowns of the number of accessions and the circulation of the General library, shipments to patrons and field work of the Library Extension Division, and a breakdown of patron copies sent by the Division of Archives and History. Also given is the number of books and pamphlets acquired by the Law Library, the circulation numbers for the Lantern Slide Division, and a breakdown cost of postage handled by the Mail Clerk.

Reports of the State Museum,
1926-1931.
(4 folders)

{series #13.93} [Holdings]

Arranged chronologically by date of report.

Monthly activity reports submitted by State Museum Curator Boyd S. Rothrock and Julia M. Donnelly who were in charge of the Lantern Slide Division to the Director of the State Museum. Information provided includes the amount of fees collected, bills submitted, donations received, number of photostat copies made, number of visitors, and circulation numbers for lantern slides.


PA State Archives Hours, Directions, & Fees Research Topics Finding Aids for Collections Land Records